Nutrition probably isn’t the first thing that you think about when you are packing your bag for a morning swim right? And getting out of bed and loosing ten minutes of precious sleep time to find some food definitely isn’t appealing huh. But, going into a session under-fuelled and dehydrated can have a massive impact on how you feel during your session and how you recover for you next workout. It is essential that you boost your carb stores before training and racing to make sure you have all the energy you need!
Did you know that carbs (yeah – that breakfast cereal that you love!) is the primary source of fuel for your muscles during exercise?
I’ve had a chat to some of the A-Squad members to put together a list of our FAVE carbo loading and training meals!
What do you opt for in the morning and during a swim?
- Peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich – Casey Atkins
- Peanut butter and Nutella Pikelets – Luke Harvey
- Banana and peanut butter on toast – Madison Toovey
- Banana or porridge – Frankie Durban
- Oats with banana, maple syrup, pecans and tea – Victoria Gillies
What do you eat after a training session?
- Up and Go – Casey Atkins
- Chocolate milk and a nut bar – Luke Harvey
- Smoothies! – Madison Toovey
- Chocolate milk and cereal bar – Frankie Durban
- Eggs on toast with spinach and mushrooms – Victoria Gillies
What do you eat the night before a meet or a race?
- Spag Bog – Casey Atkins
- Pasta and garlic bread – Luke Harvey
- Carbonara pasta – Madison Toovey
- Pasta (chicken and pesto) – Frankie Durban
- Pizza and garlic bread or pasta – Victoria Gillies
What is your fave post race treat?
- Milkshake or Ice Cream – Casey Atkins
- Chocolate brownies – Luke Harvey
- Watermelon! – Madison Toovey
- Anything with chocolate! – Frankie Durban
- Mango Sorbet – Victoria Gillies